Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Quite a lot of drama on my end at last night's Stitch-n-Bitch! I finished the back of my tank, bound off the shoulders together, and discovered a deadly mistake - the back was several inches shorter than the front. Argh! I think I committed a cardinal sin - I followed the pattern closely but stupidly forgot to make sure the back and front were the same length (regardless of what the !@#$# pattern said to do) before starting the armholes. The length from the armholes up was AOK, but from there down, not so much.

Before I could frog or cry, Debbie (a.k.a. Stitch Doctor) saved the night! She astutely realized that since I was knitting in stockinette, I could actually pick up stitches a row or two into the bottom, unravel the cast-on edge, and knit down from there. She did the picking-up, I did the unraveling, and though it was a bit tedious, it was far less so than frogging the whole side of the sweater!

Now I am knitting down from the bottom and it's amazing - absolutely seamless. Debbie, you are my savior! I knit a couple of rows this morning before my shower, and a few more on the bus. I should be able to finish it off tonight or tomorrow, depending on plans. Hopefully the waist shaping won't be a problem. I'm banking on that. Will let you all know how it goes.

The other drama last night was saying goodbye to Carolyn! The inimitable Ms. Chunky was in fabulous form, and even brought her camera to document the occasion. Check out the pics on her site! The third one down is me happily knitting away at the last bits of my tank strap, blissfully unaware of the danger to come, with Debbie sitting next to me, equally ignorant of the fact that she would soon be pressed into service as the Stitch Doctor! Boy is my hair floofy. Which brings us to our next topic...

I am getting a haircut tonight, at a kind of pricey place. But since I haven't had it cut since March 1, I think I am justified in spending a bit more than usual. Not to mention that I am in the throes of the awkward growing-out stage and cannot bear to have someone do a hack job on me. The cut's at 8:15, so think of me then. :-) If I'm pleased, I will post photos tomorrow.

No comments: