Thursday, August 29, 2002

Well, last night's US Open was mostly a washout. We had dinner, then saw the beginning of the Davenport match. It started to drizzle and they stopped the match once, for about 20 minutes, then started up and played a few games. Then after four games in the second set, the drizzle returned and they stopped again. We stuck around for a while, because it was really a very light drizzle, and watched the highlight films they were playing on the big screen scoreboard (Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg) until about 10, when we gave up and went home. Good thing, because they never did start again.

Now it's 9 a.m. and it's still raining, except it's for real now. It looks like the day will be a washout, but I am not quite ready to give in completely. The local radar looks like the showers could pass and we could have some clearing for a bit. I'm sure it's just a dream. If they aren't playing tennis, I said I'd go into the office, because I have lots to do and don't want to waste a vacation day if I am not going to see tennis. Not that I wouldn't love to just stay home and relax, but if I do I will probably have to do some work over the long weekend, so it's just as well to go in. The forecast is for the rain to continue through the evening, and end sometime early tomorrow. So hopefully we'll get some tennis in tomorrow, at least.

This is quite a bummer. It's hardly rained all summer, and the one time we have US Open tickets, the heavens decide to open up! How annoying! Not to mention it's pretty much expected to be rainy and crappy throughout the long holiday weekend. I had been hoping to get to the beach, but it doesn't look good for that either. Oh well. I'll still hope for the best, but I'm hopping in the shower soon so I can go into work.

No comments: