Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Made a happy discovery this morning at work - the fridge here has an ice maker. So what? Well, I've recently become addicted to this jasmine green tea that they sell in bottles at the grocery downstairs. It's unsweetened and delicious, and it's also imported from Japan and costs something like 2 bucks a bottle. This morning I realized I have jasmine tea bags here, so if there were ice in the freezer, I could make my own. Yay me! It's tough being one of the few people in the world who don't drink coffee.


I came close to finishing the first side of my boat neck tank at Stitch-n-Bitch last night. Actually, I am a few rows ahead of this pic now, since I did the neck shaping for the first side and am at the point of re-attaching the yarn for the other side now. I was conveniently located a few inches from the end of the ball I was using just as I had to cast off. Love when that happens. As you can see, because of my orange yarn deficiency, I decided to do the top in solid green, and actually I really like the way it looks.


Not sure if I'll get the second side done before we leave Friday, though now that I won't have to frog it, go up to the yarn store, knit and frog again, maybe it will go a bit faster. Not that a week is a terribly long time (I started this at S-n-B last Tuesday night) but the frustration made it seem longer to me.


I am still debating what to do about the plane and knitting. So many people have said they got on no problem, and the yarn store owner told me she flies all the time with metal circs and no problems. I don't know if it's going to make a difference that I am flying out of Newark, since they may have tighter security these days. I wish there some definitive information to rely on here, because I don't want to cause any problems for myself OR others. If someone could give me a yes or no, it'd make this all much easier. I'm willing to read and do crosswords and sleep if I can't knit, but if I can knit, that would be way more satisfying.


Since I'm on the subject, here's the overview of our itinerary:

  • Friday, July 28 - Fly to Paris, land Saturday the 29th, meet Kristy and Tom (Ryan's sister and her boyfriend, flying from LA), hop on a TGV (high speed train) to Avignon, where Ryan's parents will pick us up and take us to the house we're staying in, in the town of Goult.
  • Friday, July 5th - Another TGV from Avignon to Nice, spend the day in Nice and then take an overnight train to Rome, where we'll arrive early in the morning and spend the night. Our hotel appears to be near a Filatura di Crosa store, so I'm hoping to sneak in there for a bit.
  • Sunday, July 7th - Eurostar Italia to Naples, where we're planning to see (among other things) the Capodimonte Museum. We'll spend the night here, too.
  • Monday, July 8th - Down to Praiano, on the Amalfi coast, where we'll spend 2 nights, including visits to Pompeii/Vesuvius and Positano.
  • Wednesday, July 10th - Bus up the Amalfi Drive to Sorrento and get the ferry over to Capri, where we're staying 2 nights at our fancy-schmancy pick of the trip. Definitely heading to the Blue Grotto and the Natural Arch.
  • Friday, July 12th - Ferry back to Naples, back to the hotel we started the week at. See whatever we can that we've missed, try not to cry thinking about tomorrow's 7:05 a.m. flight home!
  • Saturday July 13th - Take aforementioned early flight, change in Rome, arrive at Newark just before 2 p.m. and haul ourselves back to the city before we collapse!

Well, that's probably more than anyone really truly wanted to know, but it saves me having to email that info to my parents, etc.

Now, it's 9:33 a.m. when I am writing this monster of a post, and of course my office's network is down so I can't post it. Curious to see when it actually makes it online!

No comments: