Tuesday, May 07, 2002

This week's reading (at work): stuff about schizophrenia and atypical antipsychotic drugs. Whee!

Had an unsatisfying manicure experience at lunchtime. I went to the place I went last time, which is a little nail shop 2 blocks away from the office. The owner did my nails this time, and she was very odd. First off, she commented on my eyebrows, saying she liked them thick like that, then tried to get me to let her wax them. Now, in all fairness, they are pretty messy at the moment, because I wax and tweeze myself and just haven't gotten to it since I noticed it was time. But still, it felt weird that she was so intent on them.

Then, she made a comment I couldn't quite understand (thick accent, talking fast) about either the hair on my arms or the paleness of the skin on my arms. Either way, I know it wasn't a compliment! Then, to top it off, she "wouldn't let" me use the color I picked (the quotes are because, obviously, I have insisted, but she was very opinionated on this one.) Instead of the opaque light pink I had chosen, she made me go with a sheer light pink. It's pretty, but not what I wanted. Because of the aforementioned fair skin, I like a manicure with a big of contrast, and this just doesn't do it. My nails look very neat and clean and lovely, but not girlie-pretty the way I wanted them!

To top it off, I got a little smudgie when I went to pay for my lunch sandwich afterwards (and yes, I did sit through the whole cycle on the nail dryer and yes I was being careful.) That part isn't her fault, but it adds to the unsatisfying experience. I think I shall have to find another place for my lunchtime manicures. Someplace a bit more comfortable. It's not like there aren't 50 nail salons in a 10 block radius - I'm sure I can make a better choice next time.

No comments: